- A fresh & lightweight 2D "sprite-based" engine (at least I hope to)
- Standalone library (does not rely on anything else, except a HTML5 capable browser)
- Compatible with most major browser (Chrome, Safari, Opera)
- "Multiple" Audio Channel support
- Basic physics & collision mechanisms (to ensure low cpu requirements)
- A basic set (for now) of Object Entities (to be extended)
- Manage basic animation (i'm looking into adding a proper spritesheet format to it, like TexturePacker)
- A Game state "manager" (to easily manage loading, menu, options, in-game state)
- Tiled map format version 0.6 integration for easy level design
- Plain & Base64 encoded XML tilemap loading (compression not supported)
- Orthogonal tilemap (isometric not suppported)
- multiple tileset supported (one for regular tiled map, one for the collision engine)
- Multiple layers (multiple background/Foreground layers, collision layer, “Parallax” layer)
- Alpha settings (through the Opacity slider in Tiled)
- Dynamic Entity loading (basically, the engine will instantiate JS object matching the object property name defined in the tilemap, and pass corresponding settings to it)
- and others useful stuff like system & bitmap fonts, some basic GUI elements, a customizable loader, etc...
Although melonJS is still a big work in progress and in private beta, I wanted to share with you a small demo, designed using tiled, as you can see in the following picture :
and here is a quick video of the game running :
It's maybe not very clear on the video, but the game is actually running at a smooth 60fps :)
I have no plan yet to release it, as I still have a lots of things to fix, implement or optimize, and i'm actually waiting to finish a real game as a validation/test to my framework.
I'm very excited about this project, and I hope that you will be too !
Also, anyone willing to join the project is welcome, please drop me a message at "olivier dot biot at gmx dot com" if interested :)